Re: A couple more subversion notes

    I'm going to write something in the wiki about svk. There's much FUD
    spreading in this thread.  DanJ put up a wiki page on the OpenSSH
    configuration (which really could be found with 3 minutes of googling,
    which is shorter than writing a mail asking information about it [not
    speaking of you, gaby]).

I must say that I find the amount of "fiddling" and special options or
configurations needed here very disturbing.  People make a comment and one
of the experts gives an answer of the form "oh, just turn on <yet another
obscure option in some tool>".

This is barely described in a wiki, let alone in any real documentation.  And
lots of people don't even like to read documentation.  Plus, a huge amount of
hackery will scare people off.

I'm very concerned that we're greating increasing the barrier to entry for
work on GCC.  cvs is very intuitive and simple to use.  I'm not seeing the
same thing for svn/svk, but instead a series of increasingly complex
suggestions on how to do things efficiently.

Saying "casual developers of GCC can use snapshots" is not something I think
we ought to be doing.