Re: A couple more subversion notes

"Giovanni Bajo" <rasky@develer.com> writes:

[...]

| In other words, what I see mostly in this thread is that people are worried
| because of what we usually call "micro-benchmarks" (e.g. "raw cvs diff time
| for a single time across two revisions"),

People have been asked to voice their concerns and I think so far what
we're seeing is expected.  People are concerned about the benefits
they get compared to the costs.  Those who do regular diffs across
versions are concerned about the efficiency of those operations in the
new system.  So they go and do measurements. Disk space is an issue
too.  So is upgrade to new tools.  Labelling it "micro-benchmarks"
will not change the reality for them.  I believe you have to admit
that not everybody is going to benefit equally from the system.  And
given that, I think one should pay respect  to people's concerns and
constraints.

| which is of course important (and
| svn is mostly faster except a couple of corner-cases); but some seem to miss
| that real-world workflow benchmarks (e.g. "time to backport a patch") are
| several times better with svn, because of the higher-level commands and
| concepts it provides.

if that is indeed the case, then it will come true to them not
necessarily because they have been labelled "marginals" or "myopic".

-- Gaby