Re: A couple more subversion notes

Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> writes:

[...]

| So i guess the first decision is "do we want to stay with cvs forever,
| or move to something different that has some advantages and some
| disadvantages for most people, and very large advantages for some
| people."
|
| This *really* is the main decision.  The rest is just timing.

I think we should move away from CVS.

However, I do believe we should watch out for the inflation on
supporting technology requirements.

| I'm not trying to force anything on anyone.
| If we truly want to stay with CVS forever, let's do that.
|
| But you should know that it's a pain in the ass for people trying to
| manage branches of any sort, do any sort of renames, and who don't want
| to wait 30 minutes to commit things while people tag.  We just don't
| complain about those things because we had to live with them for so
| long, we are used to this.

The Axiom Computer Algebra System project

    http://www.axiom-developer.org/

uses "CVS" for mainline most people people can check out; it uses
"arch" for manging branches where developers do experiments.  Once an
experiment is deemed successful, it is merged to mainline, synced with
the CVS version.  So, those people not interested in growing branches
only pay for what they use. Other developers with more branch demands
have their cake and can eat it.
I don't know how that may work or may not for GCC.

-- Gaby