Re: Making a new cross-compile target: where to begin?

software.au@gmail.com said:
> Hi,
>
> I know that some people are working on a GCC port for Minix v3, but
> I'd like to work on a cross-compiler for my own purposes.  I'd like
> the host and build to be i686-pc-linux-gnu, and the target to be
> i[3456]86-pc-minix3.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on where to begin and what info I need?
>  The most obvious issue is that binutils needs to be aware of the
> Minix 3 a.out object file format, unless I tweak things so that a
> program that converts statically linked ELF object files into a.out
> object files runs automatically after a build.  I'm not sure what the
> best approach would be.
Well, Daniel Kegel's crosstool is the best place to learn on how to
_build_ a cross compiling toolchain.

> There are probably some good docs out there on making a new
> cross-compile target, but I haven't found them.  Do they exist, and if
> yes where are they?  What new files do I need to help GCC build for a
> Minix 3 target, what do I put in them, where can I learn about writing
> a specs file for Minix 3, etc.
Well, as far as I have seen, most of the internals are documented in the
code itself. The best way to learn how it works, in my opinion, is to get
a good code cross-reference tool. The files you mostly want to look at are
in gcc/config in a build tree.

[snip]
> Thanks for your help.
>
> James Buchanan