Re: A couple more subversion notes

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 17:06, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >5. Lastly, just to be clear, if you guys don't think the benefits
> >outweigh the costs, we don't have to move.
> >So far, the amount of dissent i've heard is pretty small, but please, if
> >you don't want to move (or you do), please speak up, instead of silently
> >suffering (or silently being in joy).
>
> Thanks Danny for asking. I'm reading the various messages coming to the
> list and, well, I'm *worried* the benefits will *not* outweigh the costs
> for many of us.
>
> Sorry for the harsh and naive question: *which* are the benefits for people
> *not* managing many branches?

Hmm, let's see.  The ones I care about most are:

1) Atomic commits, which make regression hunting a lot easier.
   You can pinpoint exactly one patch, one revision, as the
   thing to blame.  Right now the regression hunter can from
   time to time do checkouts from a data+time when someone was
   just checking in a patch.  With SVN, this is not a problem.

2) Ability to rename and move files.  Have you ever looked at
   the messy structure of gcc (i.e. the compiler proper)?  And
   don't you ever have the feeling that some libstdc++ file is
   in the wrong place, but you don't want to move it because
   it breaks the revision history?  SVN helps here.

And less important but still nice:
3) Faster tagging, so you don't have to worry about not checking
   out something when a gcc snapshot cron job is running