Subversion and firewalls question

Anyone have advice on how to get subversion working through a corporate
firewall.

Currently I get:

| /usr/local/bin/svn co svn+ssh://gcc.gnu.org:/svn/gcc/trunk
| ssh: gcc.gnu.org:: no address associated with hostname.
| svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

I have cvs working, I ran socksify on cvs and ssh and that seemed to
work fine for those commands and I can do checkout/checkins with cvs.
When I try to socksify svn, I get an error:

[hpsje - sje_gcc_cmo] (root) $ /opt/socks/bin/socksify  /usr/local/bin/svn
/usr/local/bin/svn->/opt/socks/bin/svn ... Found nothing to change.

I think this might be because the library calls that need to be
intercepted by socks are not in svn but in a dynamic library that is
linked in by svn.

It looks like the neon subdirectory in svn understands --with-socks=
but I don't have a socks.h header file as part of my socks installation.
Is there an GNU Socks package I can build?  I see Dante, is that
what I want?

Is using --with-socks on my subversion build the right way to be
attacking this problem?

I am trying to get this to work from my HP-UX box, if that makes a
difference.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com