Re: Moving to subversion, gonna eat me a lot of peaches

Kean Johnston wrote:

I think svn is a great tool, don't get me wrong. Very well
written and got all the features one could want. But I
don't know (or see) the actual problem you are trying to
solve. cvs seems to be wroking really well for gcc.

I could have said the complete opposite. For my GCC work, I can practically hear CVS creaking. An hour and a half to tag a tree (blocking all other committers during that time) is becoming unacceptable.

as stable and vital to teh community as gcc, changing something
as fundamental as its SCM should come with a pretty big long
set of justifictions (all coolness factors waived). There's

This has been discussed over at least two GCC Summits (and possibly longer). I don't think this switch is being done on a whim.

Ben