Re: Moving to subversion, gonna eat me a lot of peaches

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Kean Johnston wrote:

Why doesn't it thrill you?
I think svn is a great tool, don't get me wrong. Very well
written and got all the features one could want. But I
don't know (or see) the actual problem you are trying to
solve. cvs seems to be wroking really well for gcc.

You have never tried to maintain a branch then. It is not "working well".
a lot of infrastructure behind the current CVS (all the
ssh access control, integration with bugzilla, automated
mailings, all manner of things)  that would need to be
updated.

Uh, all of which are taken care of very easily. YOu are talking maybe a day or so worth of work.

Its not just a matter of changing the repository
format and fixing viewcvs. I know you are aware of all of
that too, this isn't news.

So I guess I'd like to know: what is the actual problem
or problems you aim to solve by moving to svn?

The fact that tagging takes an hour, and people regularly spend 20 minutes waiting for locks.

I care not about renaming files at all.