Re: Warning C vs C++

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
On Saturday 17 September 2005 15:16, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

The warning is controlled by -Wsign-compare, which is turned on by
-Wextra (also known as -W) but not by -Wall.  It's not turned on by
-Wall because it is not normally a problem.

That's strange, all users I know expected it to turn ALL warnings, hence name. If it doesn't do it, perhaps it should. That's basic usability faux pax, excuse me.

That's a real misunderstanding. There are many warnings that are very specialized, and if -Wall really turned on all warnings, it would be essentially useless. The idea behind -Wall is that it represents a comprehensive set of warnings that most/many programmers can live with. To turn on all warnings would be the usability faux pas.