Re: RFC: dbxout_type rewrite

On Sep 16, 2005, at 3:23 AM, Geoffrey Keating wrote:

Devang Patel <dpatel@apple.com> writes:

I've now patch ready (based on apple-local-200502-branch) but it
requires few bug fixes in darwin GDB. My simple question is : Is
anybody interested in reviewing this GCC patch for acceptance in FSF
GCC (4.1 or 4.2 or whenever) irrespective of whether associated GDB
changes are contributed or not? Apple linker is updated to avoid 't'
and 'T' LSYM stabs while removing chunks of stabs. I am not sure how
big deal it is for FSF linker. And I do not know whether these linker
changes will find its way in FSF linker or not.

Hi Devang,

I'll review such a patch.

I posted patch based on apple-local-200502-branch for review on our internal list yesterday. How about reviewing that patch first before I port it to mainline ? If some one else, who does not have access to that list, wants to review it then it is a different thing, but this would save me some additional work.

Obviously you can't commit a patch which will break GDB for those who
use stabs.  However, what you can do is add the changes conditional on
a command-line option.

It is not possible and very error prone. I tried to do it before I started this rewrite. When you see my patch, you'll understand.

In addition, it would be good if you could:
- Report a bug against FSF GDB for the cases which aren't handled properly
- maybe even provide the patch against Apple GDB which fixed it, since
it might help anyone who looks at the bug.

I started using already modified Apple GDB, and Jim handled further modifications. You need to coordinate with him on this front.

-
Devang