Re: Running ranlib after installation - okay or not?

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> writes:

> > > ranlib is basically never required on a modern system.  It is really
> > > only needed if the archive is built with the S option to ar.
> > >
> > > So I think the best way to address this is to not run ranlib.
> >
> > If you consider Darwin "modern", then that statement is not correct
> > as moving/copying an archive on darwin, requires ranlib to be run.
>
> Gah.  I keep forgetting about that.  Sorry.

Still, all this really means is that we should be host specific when
deciding whether or not to run ranlib.

In fact we are already host specific as to what flags we use.  On
Darwin we use -c, which we do not use on any other system.  Maybe we
should remove AC_PROG_RANLIB from configure.ac, and add something to
config.host instead.

Except that probably this has to get into libtool somehow or
something.  Hmmm.

Ian