Re: 4.2 Project: "@file" support

Tristan Wibberley wrote:
Mark Mitchell wrote:

However, there's demonstrable interest in this feature for GNU/Linux as
well, from the lists, and for Java on all operating systems.

Please don't use '@filename' on Linux, use a normal switch with an
argument. The problems of '-' being used for switches is bad enough
without another valid filename character being overloaded. At least the
'-' problem is well understood and people can avoid using filenames
beginning with '-'.

Again, I'm amenable to changes to the technical details.

The first step is agreeing that (a) the feature is beneficial, and (b) the mechanism for implementing it, such as whether it should be done in crt0 or in libiberty. I think everyone's agreed on (a), but I don't think DJ and I are yet seeing eye-to-eye on (b). Once we get past that, we can work out these details.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC