Re: 4.2 Project: "@file" support

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:50:32PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:

I've created a new 4.2 Project page for "response files", which is
what Microsoft calls files that contain command-line options.
Conventionally, if you pass "@file" as an argument to a program, the
file is read, and the contents are treated as command-line options.

Huh? That should certainly be a feature of the shell, not the OS.

I'm not sure what you're saying. The limitation on command-line length can be in either the shell, or the OS. In Windows 2000, the limitation comes primarily from the Windows command shell.

On systems with small command-line buffers, this is a must-have
feature.

Do you really want every application to work around a broken propritary system?

I want GCC to work well for people, no matter what operating system they are using. This is a feature that everyone who produces Windows-hosted versions of GCC ends up implementing; I'd like to keep us all from having to keep reinventing the wheel.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC