Re: Compile time increases on Diego's SPEC box

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 18:05 +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are some huge compile time regressions between 16/7 and 17/7, most
> likely due to the IPA work from Kenny and Dan.

Definitely.
The peak compile time slowdown is due to the promote statics pass, which
in term causes more work for global-alloc.

We analyzed this, and had a big discussion on IRC about whethre this
should be in O3 or O4.

The consensus from about 8 people seemed to be that O3 was appropriate
for this, instead of making an O4.

There is nothing in the pass itself that is slow, when we rant it on
gcc.

However, I will look into the base slowdown in mesa, and see if the
slowdowns in parser/sixtrack are in the passes or just side effects.