How to make an application look somewhere other than /lib for ld-linux.so.2

"Mark Cuss" <mcuss@cdlsystems.com> wrote:
I'm trying to get myself a group of libraries that I can distribute
> with my program so that they'll run on any distro.
> I run into problems all the time when different distros have different versions of system libraries like libstdc++, libgcc, libc, etc.
Is there a way to somehow configure gcc build executables that look elsewhere
for ld-linux.so.2, or is what I'm trying to do simply not possible? I'd really like to have a set of libraries with my program so that it's binary compatible with other distros... there must be a way. If anyone has any tips or advice I'd appreciate it.

There are two official ways to go:

1) Build static binaries.  (If your apps use libnss*.a, you may want to
   configure your toolchain's glibc with --enable-static-nss; I'm
   doing that now for one project.  Don't tell drepper.)
2) Build your apps with lsbcc.  That will link to the LSB's
   frozen version of libstdc++, etc.

#1 is doable right now.  #2 is, too, but requires your users to
install your distro's LSB runtime package.

- Dan