Re: updating libtool, etc.

Daniel Jacobowitz dixit:

>> >Geoff> Does anyone mind if I update libtool to the latest released
>> >version,
>> >Geoff> 1.5.18, and regenerate everything with automake 1.9.5?
>> >
>> >    If everyone agrees to go forward with this
>>
>> Oh, I should have said:  "and if you don't mind, how do you feel
>> about a GCC project fork of libtool?"

>If you want to update libtool, you get to play the all-of-src-uses-it
>game.  I have been updating src directories to more recent autoconf
>versions in the hope of getting rid of our outdated libtool someday. I
>believe the only remaining holdout is newlib, but I didn't check
>everything.

The MirOS version of Libtool also works with autoconf 2.13 and automake 1.4
(in addition to autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9), though we broke one AIX
related macro in the process. It's based upon branch-1-5 of GNU libtool,
and copyright assignment has already been done.

If interested, check these (and the diff to -rFSF) out:
* http://mirbsd.mirsolutions.de/cvs.cgi/contrib/gnu/libtool/libtool.m4
* http://mirbsd.mirsolutions.de/cvs.cgi/contrib/gnu/libtool/ltmain.in

I use it (obviously) to build all ports which use it, plus stuff in
the base system (binutils, gdb, gcc 3.4.5 but not newlib). The broken
macro was _LT_AC_SYS_LIBPATH_AIX because one of the macros it invokes
are not in autoconf 2.13.

//mirabile
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt