move specs documentation to internals manual?

"Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2005, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > gkeating@apple.com (Geoffrey Keating) writes:
> >
> > > 	* gcc.c: Include xregex.h.
> > > 	(version_compare_spec_function): New.
> > > 	(spec_function): Add version-compare.
> > > 	(replace_outfile_spec_function): Reformat comment.
> > > 	(compare_version_strings): New.
> >
> > I think version-compare should be documented in the specs file section
> > of invoke.texi.
>
> I think having this documentation in invoke.texi is a mistake - specs are
> internals rather than something for users to use.  The documentation
> should either be in the internals manual or be in comments in gcc.c, not
> both and not the user manual.

I agree with both comments here: it's lame that we have duplicated
documentation (and explains why I didn't realise that I had to change
two places), and I don't think that we should be considering specs to
be an user-level interface to GCC.

So, what do people think about (a) deleting the big comment in gcc.c
that tries to explain specs (leaving a pointer to the manual), and (b)
moving the specs documentation to the internals manual?