No documentation of -rdynamic

Hi all,
in order for the glibc function backtrace() to return something useful, its
documentation says one has to use the -rdynamic flag. However, as has been
mentioned before here
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2002-11/msg00196.html
and probably some other places, there doesn't seem to be any documentation of
what this flag does etc.

Is there someone who can give me the gist of its meaning? If I get a
reasonable explanation, I may even be willing to write a blurb for the
manual...

Best
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu