Re: Do C++ signed types have modulo semantics?

Daniel Berlin wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Mark Mitchell wrote:

Joe Buck wrote:

I don't think we should give the user any such promise, and if we do
give such a promise, we will never catch icc.  The main problem is that
we will no longer be able to optimize many loops.

It's entirely possible that I was naive in assuming that this wouldn't have a big optimization impact. Reiterating my response to Daniel, if it is in fact the case that this is a major loss for optimization, then I would have to retract my claim.

I've got some notes in to various XLC people to get info if they have actual numbers.

However, in the meanwhile, the manual actually says it causes very severe performance degradation, and that you are better off doing -O2 and -qnostrict_induction than -O3 + qstrict_induction, if it makes your code work.

OK. I'll withdraw my statement, then. And, so, I now think that <limits> needs to change is_modulo back to false.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC