Re: Fixing Bugs (Was: A Suggestion for Release Testing)

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:30:03AM -0400, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:

>> > Boosters, FreeBSD hackers, and I'm sure tons of others are calling this
>> > the "Bicycle shed effect."
>> >
>> > <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#BIKESHED-PAINTING>

> If I'm building a bicycle shed, I may want to talk with others who have
> done so in the past, learning from the experience and gaining their
> insights. Why did they use a certain type of construction? What sort of
> storage did they build in? What worked and didn't work for someone else
> who has already built a shed? What did they learn from their own work?
> Any shed I build will be better for such discussions.

chuckle chuckle ...

The reference is of course to Parkinson's second law, that the discussion
time on an issue is in inverse proportion to its importance. I think
that in fact Scott has unwittingly provided a perfect reference for this
thread :-)