Re: Fixing Bugs (Was: A Suggestion for Release Testing)

On Jun 14, 2005, at 10:43 PM, Timothy J. Wood wrote:

On Jun 14, 2005, at 8:13 AM, Robert Dewar wrote:
I think a lot of what happens is that easy bugs do get fixed. The ones
that don't are often complex, or ill-reported, and thus tend to require
a lot of knowledge to work on effectively.

One form of mentoring would be to _not_ have the core folks fixing the easy
bugs. Throw those to the newbies with some pointers at where to look.
Eventually newbies get more and more experienced, and old-guard folks get more
available time to work on hard issues.

This is in fact how I started working on GCC, I started with some easy bugs
and moved my way up. I also now a days reduce preprocessed source which
comes into GCC's bugzilla and CC the person who I think caused the regression.
So I look at every bug which comes in and knows when there is an easy one.

Maybe I should start a wiki page for bugs which might be easy to fix but that
will not be for this week.

-- Pinski