gfortran backports to 4.0

I've been added me to the Cc: list for PR 20930, which is a Fortran PR. This is a bug in 4.0 and has been fixed on the mainline. David would like the patch to appear in 4.0.x as well.

For the record, it's fine to backport Fortran changes to 4.0. I see Fortran 4.0 as very much a work in progress, with a relatively minimal installed user base, and it's entirely reasonable to make riskier changes there than we would for C or C++, especially to fix critical bugs in 4.0.

In fact, I'd encourage the Fortran maintainers to accept backported patches, though, of course, the decision is up to them. I'm not trying to create an obligation for anyone, but, for what it's worth, I think that following up on:

and, in particular, this statement from Steven:

I guess we should re-sync mainline and 4.0 soon, your patch would be
included automatically.

would be nice.

--
Mark Mitchell