Re: GCC 4.0.1 Status (2005-06-05)

Steven Bosscher wrote:
On Sunday 05 June 2005 19:18, Mark Mitchell wrote:

The reason that this release is slightly ahead of schedule is because of
a relatively frequently-encountered wrong-code regression in C++.

Which regression is this?

The bug that caused KDE miscompilations.

> And why does this regression motivate you
to suddenly go release 4.0.1 where you dismissed another wrong-code
bug (PR21173) as just another .0 bug?

IIRC, you were one of the people who pushed for an early 4.0.1 release to fix the KDE miscompilations. All I'm doing is following through on that, as announced a week ago:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-05/msg01466.html

I am not sure what your point is about 21173; it's fixed, which is good.

If you would like to offer constructive feedback politely, I'd be very appreciative, but your tone is consitently argumentative and critical. I can't tell if you're trying to help me do a better job, or just trying to give me a hard time.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC