Re: What is wrong with Bugzilla? [Was: Re: GCC and Floating-Point]

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

On 2005-05-29 18:19:19 +0300, Michael Veksler wrote:

If more than 50 people report it, independently, as a bug then it
sure is a bug. You might argue whether technically it is a bug, but
from user's perspective it is a bug (and you have over 50 duplicates
as an evidence). As such it has to be dealt with more positively.

Concerning the extended precision, there are two problems.

First there is a bug in GCC concerning casts and assignments
(see ISO/IEC 9899: 5.1.2.3#13, 6.3.1.5#2 and 6.3.1.8#2).

But even this were fixed, many users would still complain.
That's why I think that the Linux kernel should set the CPU
in double-precision mode, like some other OS's (MS Windows,
*BSD) -- but this is off-topic here.

It's not off-topic. In fact, Jim Wilson argued this point here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-08/msg01282.html

"The best pragmatic solution is probably to set the rounding control to 64-bits, but then we lose access to long double which some people need, and we still have excess precision problems for float."

Hope this helps,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/