Re: Sine and Cosine Accuracy

On 2005-05-29 01:33:43 -0600, Roger Sayle wrote:
> I apologise for coming into this argument late.  I'll admit that I
> haven't even caught up on the entire thread, but an interesting
> relevant article that may or may not have already been mentioned is:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040409144725/http://www.naturalbridge.com/floatingpoint/intelfp.html

I mentioned it here:

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:42:32 +0200
From: Vincent Lefevre <vincent+gcc@vinc17.org>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC and Floating-Point (A proposal)

> Admittedly on many IA-32 systems there's little difference between
> using FSIN vs calling the OS's libm's sin function, as glibc and
> microsoft's runtimes (for example) themselves use the x87 intrinsics.
> GCC, however, is not to know this and assumes that the user might
> provide a high-precision library, such as Lefevre's perfect O.5ulp
> implementation.  [It's nice to see him join this argument! :)]

Well, I'm just one of the authors of MPFR. Concerning the runtime
libraries for math functions in IEEE double precision, that partly
provide correct rounding, I know:
  * IBM's MathLib, on which the glibc is based (for Athlon 64,
    Opteron, PowerPC, Alpha and PA-RISC). Does rounding-to-nearest
    only.
  * MPFR does correct rounding in multiple precision, but a wrapper
    could be written for the double precision (and possibly other
    precisions for the*f and *l variants). Of course, this would be
    quite slow as MPFR wasn't written for such kind of things, but
    some users may still be interested.