Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

On May 16, 2005, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> And package maintainers will never take cross-compilation seriously even
> if they really want to because they, for the most part, can't test it.

configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
--host=i686-somethingelse-linux-gnu

should be enough to exercise most of the cross-compilation issues, if
you're using a sufficiently recent version of autoconf, but I believe
you already knew that.

The most serious problem regarding cross compilation is that it's
regarded as hard, so many people would rather not even bother to try
to figure it out.  So it indeed becomes a hard problem, because then
you have to fix a lot of stuff in order to get it to work.