Re: GCC 3.4.4 RC2

Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 03:44:59PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
> > GCC 3.4.4 RC2 is now available here:
> >
> > ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/prerelease-3.4.4-20050512
> >
> > There are just a few changes from RC1 to fix critical problems people
> > experienced with RC1.
> >
> > Please download, build, and test.
>
> Done.

Likewise, s390(x)-ibm-linux are working fine now:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-05/msg00916.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-05/msg00917.html

> Something went wrong with the libstdc++ testsuite. It doesn't show up in the
> test results:
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-05/msg00856.html
>
> AFAICT, the libstdc++ testsuite _did_ run, but it doesn't show up. This
> could be pilot error on my behalf, but I've followed the exact same scripted
> procedure for ages so I don't think so.
>
> Oops, I failed to realise it also happened with RC1:
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-05/msg00670.html
Um?  This does have the libstd++ results ...

> I've run out of time right now and cannot investigate it immediately. Anyone
> else seeing this? Quick browse of other test results suggests I'm not alone.
> Maybe there's a BZ already? Dunno.

It would appear the problem is this patch:
2005-05-12  Mark Mitchell  <mark@codesourcery.com>

        2005-04-04  Mark Mitchell  <mark@codesourcery.com>
        * testsuite/Makefile.am (check-local): Remove.
        (curent_symbols.txt): Likewise.
        (check-abi): Do not depend on current_symbols.txt.
        * testsuite/Makefile.in: Regenerated.
        * testsuite/libstdc++-abi/abi.exp: Build current_symbols.txt.
        2005-04-01  Mark Mitchell  <mark@codesourcery.com>
        * testsuite/Makefile.am (noinst_PROGRAMS): Remove.
        (site.exp): Write out the path to the baseline file.
        (check-abi): Use DejaGNU.
        (check-abi-verbose): Remove.
        * testsuite/Makefile.in: Regenerated.
        * testsuite/abi_check.cc (main): Check the return value from
        compare_symbols.
        * testsuite/testsuite_abi.cc (compare_symbols): Return a value.
        * testsuite/testsuite_abi.h (compare_symbols): Adjust prototype.
        * testsuite/libstdc++-abi/abi.exp: New file.
        2004-03-19  Phil Edwards  <phil@codesourcery.com>
        * testsuite/Makefile.am (site.exp):  New target, based on that
        created by automake.  Also set libiconv.

While using DejaGNU for check-abi might be a good idea in principle, the way
it is currently set up means that the 'make check-abi' run will overwrite the
libstdc++.log and libstdc++.sum files generated by the main 'make check' run.
This is why the results are missing from the test_summary report ...

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand