Re: check_ext_dependent_givs

Hi, Bonzini,

Thank you for your reponse.
I do not want to modify the old loop optimizer defined
in loop.c.  I am preparing to port some improvements
done on gcc-3.5 to gcc-4.0, and the GIV optimizations
is part of my concerns.

On IA-64, the GIV optimization can hardly improve the
performance. The reason is that
check_ext_dependent_givs can not giv an exactly answer
whether the BIVs will be wrap around or not. In most
cases, it only produce a conservative result that the
BIVs may overflow and the corresponding GIVs can not
be reduced.

I modified the code in check_ext_dependent_givs to let
the BIVs always successfully pass the check, then test
the example you have given to me, but the result is
the same as before.

Would you please give me another example which will
lead a wrong result if the check_ext_dependnet_givs
has not been called. FORTRAN program is nice, and my
platform is a 64bit system.

Best regards,

Canqun Yang
Creative Compiler Research Group.
National University of Defense Technology, China.