Re: GCC 3.4.4 RC1

"Etienne Lorrain" <etienne.lorrain@masroudeau.com> writes:

  > > Etienne Lorrain <etienne.lorrain@masroudeau.com> wrote:
  > >
  > >>   Some of those problem may also exist in GCC-4.0 because this
  > >>  version (and the 4.1 I tested) gives me an increase of 60% of the
  > >>  code size compared to 3.4.3.
  > >

  > > This is a serious regression which should be submitted in Bugzilla. Would
  > > you please take care of that? It is sufficient to provide a single
  > > preprocessed source which shows the code size increase in compilation.
  > > GCC4
  > > still needs some tuning for -Os.
  > >
  > > Thanks!
  > > --
  > > Giovanni Bajo
  > >

  >   You probably would not like my target - part of this increase is
  >  probably due to the fact that some assembler instructions are
  >  shorter in ia32 protected mode than in ia32 real mode.
  >
  >  I still tryed to extract a simple function and compile it here with
  >  the options I am using: -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i386 -mrtd
  >  -fno-builtin -funsigned-char -fverbose-asm -minline-all-stringops
  >  -mno-align-stringops  -Os -ffunction-sections -fstrict-aliasing
  >  -falign-loops=1 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-functions=2
  >  -mno-align-double -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2

Interesting set of flags...

  >   If I compile that with GCC-3.4, I get:
  >
  > $ size tmp.o
  > text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
  >  243       0       0     243      f3 tmp.o
  >
  >   With GCC-4.0:
  >
  > $ size tmp.o
  > text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
  >  387       0       0     387     183 tmp.o
  >
  >   Can someone confirm the problem first?

For GCC-4.1

 size -f tmp.o
    322       0       0     322     142 tst.o

Looking at the debugging dump shows that the there's a lot of
variables generate by SRA, indeed after adding

-fno-tree-sra

    154       0       0     154      9a tst.o

-fno-tree-sra helps this case, but in general SRA is not something you
want to turn off.