Re: Mail. Mail! Mail?

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 03:37:13PM +0100, Bernard Leak wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Firstly, thanks to Bob Proulx for the helpful pointer to the Debian
> search widget.  This is a genuinely useful-looking tool.  How pleasing!
> But unless he thinks this is another thing I should "just know about",
> it's worth documenting *somewhere*.  I don't suggest that the GCC
> documentation should necessarily mention the Debian web-site
> (indeed, it is surely better not to): but the GCC documentation left
> me stuck over "Mail". with nowhere to go.

Patches are welcome.

> How difficult does it have to be to find something out before adding it
> to the documentation looks like a benefit to other people?  Is forcing me
> (and any others in the same position later) to ask an unnecessary
> question something to be encouraged, as an exercise in communal
> living, or something?  Do you all have too much time on your hands?

No, that's why a patch from you would help, even if it's only a starting
point for someone else to improve on.  Many of us are volunteers, so if
something isn't a problem to us then getting round to fixing it doesn't
always seem appealing.  Send a patch to help us out.

I sometimes make changes to the docs when I see something that could be
improved, but currently I'm busy working on other things which cause me
real problems.

> Is there any information you would like to delete from the documentation
> on the same principle?

Probably. Patches welcome.

> I'm not asking anyone to guess at things I might possibly not know and
> explain them in the documentation.  I am asking for two *specific* things
> (which in fact I did not know) to be explained in the documentation,
> because brute-force searching in "the obvious places" doesn't produce
> the Right Thing, but can and does throw up misleading clues to the Wrong
> Thing.  "Mail" in particular is not the name of a GNU utility, but "mail"
> is.  The results submission script uses "Mail".  My distribution has
> "mailx", which completes the set of three!  How confusing and inconsistent
> does it have to be before it seems like a candidate for documentation?

Send a patch, it might get more attention than a request without a
patch.

> hand ("Linux in a Nutshell", 4th Edition).  I have now gone back to
> check: the documentation for "mail" mentions neither "Mail" nor "mailx",
> and I found no references to "Mail" or "mailx" in the index.  I have
> now gone over the "sendmail" documentation (apparently for Big
> Sendmail).  Zack Weinberger's first reply to me is still the only
> indication I've ever noticed that there is more than one thing called
> "sendmail".

Search rpmfind.net for /usr/sbin/sendmail, you'll see lots of
non-sendmail packages provide that executable.

> If you have a lot of time to waste you might try finding "Mail" in
> the Linux Documentation Project tree.  You do have a lot of time
> to waste, don't you?  I mean, it *might* be in there. Somewhere.
> Yes, I tried this at length before I gave up and made my posting.
> Again, I didn't think there was much point in mentioning it.

This isn't GCC's problem. Send a patch  :-)

jon

--
I don't pretend to be an expert on intellectual property law, but I do
know one thing. If a music industry executive claims I should agree with