Re: building gcc 4.0.0 on Solaris

Hi,

I have configured with:
	./configure \
		--with-as=/usr/local/binutils/bin/as \
		--with-ld=/usr/local/binutils/bin/ld \
so I should be using GNU's as and ld.

--with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld I presume?

No, but configure does detect that, doesn't it? I've never used these option flags before, I thought they were for HP-UX only. Mmh... I'll doublecheck.

Hacking libtool is not supported anyway. ;-) I think you should use only GNU tools by tweaking your PATH.

Ah, but I'm not hacking anything.

Only in the specific case of sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libjava I had to
switch from Sun's ar to GNU's ar. After building the library that
wouldn't build, I reverted the change to libtool.

This is a new issue and the previous "hack" is totally irrelevant.

No, I've had problems with almsot all other previous GNU binutils
releases, see my previous posts on this list.

Including 2.13.x and 2.14?

At least one of them. I'll have to check that, I can't recall which versions had problems. As far as I can remember I had always upgraded GNU binutils for specific reasons (the gcc build would fail, the build of our programs would fail, or our programs would fail).

--
Dimitri