GCC 3.3.6 - anomalous debug info?

configuration: i386-redhat-linux (Redhat 9.2), gcc 3.3.6 ("make bootstrap" from
the sources), and gdb "(5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)" as well as gdb 6.3 (latest)
built from sources.

I'm working on some changes to GCC 3.4.3, which I've built using gcc 3.3.6.
The GCC (3.4.3) that I'm debugging is compiled with -g -O0, with --enable-checking.

However, I notice that when I fire up GDB 5.3, it says:

Breakpoint 4, main (argc=13, argv=0xbfffdc04) at /upc/gcc-upc/src/gcc/main.c:35
35        return toplev_main (argc, argv);
During symbol reading, inner block not inside outer block in print_rtx.
During symbol reading, inner block not inside outer block in print_rtx.
During symbol reading, inner block not inside outer block in print_rtx.
During symbol reading, inner block not inside outer block in print_rtx.
During symbol reading, inner block not inside outer block in print_rtx.

and the latest gdb 6.3 (built from sources) says the following:

Breakpoint 4, main (argc=13, argv=0xbfffe7e4) at /upc/gcc-upc/src/gcc/main.c:35
35        return toplev_main (argc, argv);
During symbol reading, Incomplete CFI data; unspecified registers at 0x08095c3e.
[...]

Neither of these differing series of warning messages give me confidence that
the debugging info. is correct.  Is this a gcc problem, or a gdb problem?
(I made a few quick probes in the Bugzilla database, but couldn't find
anything that seemed relevant to malformed debug info.)

Anyone else see messages like this when debugging gcc?  Is there a workaround
or fix?  Is this something unique to what is now a fairly old version
of the Linux OS?

BTW, one of the reasons I tried this with the latest GCC 3.3.6 and GDB 6.3,
and compiling at -O0 was to see if some problems I was seeing where the
debugger was having trouble navigating gcc's object->source mappping
might be fixed.  I saw a similar problem using an earlier version of gcc
"3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)".