Re: Backporting to 4_0 the latest friend bits

Joe Buck wrote:

>>Thanks for your assessment of the problem: indeed, I can tell you for
>>sure that (b) it's true and, as reported by Kriang, the patches are
>>rather simple (but the details of this judgement are up to you, of
>>course). I'm not 100% sure about (a) but Michael can tell you better:
>>AFAIK, KDE Kopete used to compile and work well pre-4.0.
>>

>I don't quite understand your answer.  It seems that (a) is the important
>issue; if the programs are valid, they compiled before, and they worked
>before, then it seems there really is a regression, even if we can argue
>that we were "right by accident" in the past.

Joe, there is no doubt that those programs compiled before 4.0 and, by
and large, worked before. The latter point it's a delicate matter of
details, I don't have a complete answer right now, sorry, because, as
repeated once more by Andrew (I thought it was enough ;) the behavior of
the compiler pre-4.0 was wrong in some corner cases, the wrong function
was friended. Then 4.0 changed that in a non-compile and 4.1 finally is
completely ok.

Paolo.