Re: GCC 4.1: Buildable on GHz machines only?

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 20:57, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 17:45, Matt Thomas wrote:
> > > The features under discussion are new, they didn't exist before.
> >
> > And because they never existed before, their cost for older platforms
> > may not have been correctly assessed.
>
> If someone had cared about them, it would have been noticed earlier.
> But since _nobody_ has complained before you, I guess we can conclude
> that by far the majority if GCC users are quite happy with the cost
> assesments that were made.

This is false.  I've been complaining (at various levels of volume) ever
since we switched to using the garbage collector.[1]

R.

[1] I don't think the Garbage Collector is the only source of slowdown.
It was just the change that tipped the balance from not-very good to
insane.  Unfortunately, things have continued to go down-hill from
there.