Re: Built gcc 4.0.0, without C++ support

Daniel Jacobowitz:

[...]

> > So obviously Sun ld doesn't have the necessary support for COMDAT groups
> > (even with GNU ld, a quite recent version seems to be required).
> > Unfortunately, gcc's configure.ac doesn't check for this, but should.
>
> So you're using gas with the Sun linker?  Yes, the configure check
> definitely needs to test both as and ld.

Yes, I do, per Joseph S. Myers' instructions:

""
I recommend using GNU as and Sun ld.  /usr/sfw/bin/as should be a suitable
version of the GNU assembler, or try the 2.15.97 binutils snapshot (from
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/binutils/snapshots/) for an assembler which should
also be sufficiently recent [..]
""

Note that no other combination will even bootstrap.  GNU ld stumbles
upon a Sun-supplied crt*.o file, and Sun's as chokes on the generated
assembly (x86_64 instructions it fails to handle?).

Regards, Jeroen.