Re: libgcc_s.so 3.4 vs 3.0 compatibility

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:
> > Yes.

Peter:
> > > Are the 2 libraries compatible? Interchangeable? Looking in the map
> > > file, I don't think so.

Jakub:
> > There is backwards compatibility.  So you want the latest libgcc_s.so.1
> > from the compilers used to build your applications.

Peter:
> I should understand that, as usual, there is no "backward"
> compatibility. My worry being the case when somebody, having installed
> 3.4 and 4.0, in this order, updates the previous compiler, 3.4, and
> unknowingly replaces the latest library. For this, I think that
> additional instrumentations are required by the corresponding
> packages. Consequently, it is the role of the packager to assure an
> hermetic separation.

No, I think you misunderstood Jakub.  If 4.0 is installed second, it will
update the libgcc_s.so.1, and all the apps compiled with either compiler
will continue to work.  You want to avoid the reverse situation, where 4.0
is installed first and then 3.4.