Re: GCC 4.0 RC2 Available

Geoffrey Keating wrote:

RC2 is available here:

ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/prerelease-4.0.0-20050417/

As before, I'd very much appreciate it if people would test these bits
on primary and secondary platforms, post test results with the
contrib/test_summary script, and send me a message saying whether or
not there are any regressions, together with a pointer to the results.

Bad news, I'm afraid.

On powerpc-darwin8, this fails to bootstrap, with an ICE in libjava (when
trying to build gnu-xml.o).

I've put that information on the Wiki. However, as powerpc-darwin is not a primary platform, and as Java is not part of the release criteria, I'm not going to block the release for this problem. Hopefully it will be fixed for 4.0.1.

I'll run another build with a patch applied to disable libgcj on
ppc-darwin, and see how that goes.  I'll also try to work out which
patch broke it.

Thanks.

--
Mark Mitchell