Re: My opinions on tree-level and RTL-level optimization

    Well, paradoxical subregs are just a mess:

Agreed, but I wasn't talking about the paradoxical case.

    optimizations on paradoxical subregs are better served at the tree
    level, because it is just obfuscation of e.g. QImode arithmetic.

Not clear: I think this is a more complex issue.

    The biggest and less readable files right now are combine.c, reload.c,
    reload1.c.  cse.c is big (though not extreme) but unreadable.

Hmm.. I'd consider combine.c quite readable.  I agree about reload, of course.

    Luckily some GWP people do care about cleaning up.  Richard Henderson
    did a lot of work on cleaning up RTL things left from olden times
    (think eh, nested functions, addressof, save_expr,...), Zack did some
    work on this ground in the past as well, Bernd is maybe the only guy
    who could pursue something such as reload-brench...

Lots of us care about cleanups.  It's actually been one of my priorities
too over the years.