Re: C++ ABI mismatch crashes

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:30:55 -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> Do we really promise somewhere that this will work?  I know that we warn
> in other places that it probably will not.

Yes, see the "Testing Multi-ABI binaries" section here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/abi.html

> Yes, symbol versioning is present, and will avoid many problems, but there
> were also a couple of layout bugs in gcc 3.3 that were fixed in 3.4.
> These could cause code compiled by 3.3 to assume that fields of classes
> are at different positions than code compiled by 3.4.  Such cases are not
> common, but it is another way to get a crash.

Yes, but the case here is of a g++ 3.3 binary linked against the g++ 3.3
standard library failing to operate because of other C++ binaries linked
into the image elsewhere, even if they only interact via C ABIs.

There is definitely some kind of bug here, I'm sure of it. Question is,
what?

I'll continue investigations in a few days. If anybody can give me the
exact Itanium C++ spec revision numbers gcc 3.3 and 3.4 implement that'd
be handy.

thanks -mike