Re: OT: How is memory latency important on AMD64 box while compilinglarge C/C++ sources

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Karel Gardas wrote:

> using cache and how much cache it needs (I'm cosidering 512KB cache CPU
> here either Winchester or Venice core) and that's the reason why I ask
> here, since I've not been able so far to search by google for sufficient
> answer for this question.

Also the reason why I'm asking here about this, is this Mike Stump's post:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-04/msg00030.html

Especially: ``Currently gcc takes a cache miss every 20 instructions, or
some ungodly number, and that really saps performance.''

but I don't know if this is just an 1st April fool joke or the reality and
if I understand "cache miss" right and if this is L1 or L2 cache miss.

Thanks,
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  kgardas@objectsecurity.com