Re: 2 suggestions

Ray> 2) Much of the time is spent in the several iterations of building a
Ray> product doing the convfigure steps. These are repeated ad nauseum with the
Ray> results being obtained the hard way each time. As a database person, it
Ray> seems to me that by perhaps having a small database of configuration
Ray> learned things (perhaps 3 key strings and one result string separated by a
Ray> delimiter that awk recognizes) would allow the configuration to go much
Ray> faster. I would be happy to write a small shell script that extracts
Ray> information and another to add to such a database. The developer could
Ray> then point  the make at where this default file is located using an
Ray> environment variable - make and configure could use it and update it. Many
Ray> others are using your style configurations and could benefit from such a
Ray> database (gawk, gdb, .... as well as many others that copy your excellent
Ray> style).

	As mentioned in another message, the user shell can contribute to
a lot of the time.  Sometimes the default system shell is very inefficient
and the configuration time could be improved by using GNU Bash.

	Also, the configuration process may look repetitive, but the
results might be different in each situation, so GCC needs to inquire
conservatively.

David