Re: Use Bohem's GC for compiler proper in 4.1?

Kaveh R. Ghazi schrieb:
> I do have swapping on a 1 GB machine with 2 CPUs(-> 2 GCCs)

If you can demonstrate that say GCC-4.0 uses much more memory than 3.4
or 3.3 to compile some code, then file a PR with preprocessed source
and someone will eventually look at it.

I haven't thought about a regression, I was only using 3.4, but look at this:

mem peak user sys

gcc 3.4 -S -O0   476 MB    1m39s   2s
gcc 4.0 -S -O0   655 MB    2m23s   3s

icc -S -O0 264 MB 1m24s 15s

the file makes quite heavy use of virtual inheritance so there are a lot of virtual tables involved. are there any known performance bugs in this area or should I file a PR?

any suggestions on how to simplify the testcase? (preprocessed is ~60k lines)

-- Stefan Strasser