RE: SMS in gcc4.0

Steven Bosscher <stevenb@suse.de> wrote on 31/03/2005 16:55:52:

> On Mar 31, 2005 03:56 PM, Canqun Yang <canqun@nudt.edu.cn> wrote:
>
> > This patch will fix doloop_register_get defined in
> > modulo-sched.c, and let the program of PI caculation
> > on IA-64 be successfully modulo scheduled. On 1GHz
> > Itanium-2, it costs just 3.128 seconds to execute when
> > compiled with "-fmodulo-shced -O3" turned on, while
> > 5.454 seconds whithout "-fmodulo-sched".
>
> Nice!  But makes me wonder... Mustafa, why can doloop_register_get
> not just accept the same doloop patterns as the one accepted in
> doloop_condition_get?

It should.  It seems that there was a major change to doloop_condition_get
after we implemented SMS and created doloop_register_get, the correct fix
is to combine both and make the doloop_condition_get external.  I will
prepare a patch for this.  Actually, there is a more fundamental change
that we can do to SMS, which is to use doloop_valid_p which tell us that
there is a countable loop no matter if the machine supports BCTs or not,
but this requires changes to the way we generate the prologue/epilogue.

Mostafa.