Re: Profile-directed feedback and remote testing

On Mar 24, 2005, at 11:59 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

When we generate data for feedback, we insert the .gcda name into the object file as an absolute path. As a result, when we try to do remote testing, we lose, as, in general the remote file system does not have the same file hierarchy as the build system.

A similar thing happens for coverage files (.bb., .bbg, .da) (the file goes into the cwd of the compiler when invoked).

I understand why we generate an asbolute path; we want to make sure that the data ends up there, not in the directory where the user happens to run the program. So, I intend to disable these tests when $host != $target. Any objections, or better ideas?

A compiler option to set the target directory for these files (and the coverage ones!) would be great. Possibly even better would be an environment variable. If the user wants to compare two sets of coverage information from two sets of tests, they shouldn't have to rebuild their entire project to do so (though I guess they could do directory swapping after each run).

-tim