Re: Feature request: Globalize symbol

rth@redhat.com (Richard Henderson)  wrote on 11.03.05 in <20050311151215.GA8406@redhat.com>:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:48:35AM +0100, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > > Isn't a compiler option -fglobalize-symbol also a form of source-level
> > > instrumentation?  Either way, you need the source, and you get different
> > > code emitted.
> >
> > This isn't a source-level modification, by definition.
>
> For some definition of definition.
>
> I, for one, do not like the idea of this extension at all.
> Seems to me that if you have the source, you might as well
> modify it.  I see no particular reason to complicate things
> just to accomodate an aversion to using patch(3).

You have a library implementation of patch(1)? ;-)

Anyway, that seems to be very much the wrong tool to me. For stuff like
thes, you'd really want a tool that understands C, so it can make a
certain modification for certain syntactical places. You wouldn't want to
implement -finstrument-functions with patch, either, would you?

MfG Kai