Re: __builtin_cpow((0,0),(0,0))

David Carlton <david.carlton@sun.com> writes:

| On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:54:03 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> said:
| > Vincent Lefevre <vincent+gcc@vinc17.org> writes:

| > |
| > | I disagree. One can mathematically define 0^0 as 1. One often does
| > | this.
|
| > what you do is to set a local convention regardless of all
| > mathematical absurdities you run into.
|
| No, you follow the convention that all mathematicians that I know of
| follow, because it's generally recognized as the most useful one.

Please given references -- not just unnamed mathematicians you claim
to know.

To some extent, I already quoted the disposition of LIA-2 -- language
independent arithmetic, part 2.

| Maybe there are mathematical subcultures in which a different
| convention (or no convention) is followed; I haven't spent time in
| such cultures.  But if it's a "local convention", then it's one for a
| very large value of "local".

Please consider the limit of x^y when you have both x and y go to
zero.

Also, consider the LIA-2 disposition I alresdy provided.

-- Gaby