Re: GCC 4.1 Projects

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 00:49, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > It's in now, BTW.  Nothing broke.  :-)
>
> We need to talk about that.
>
> Independently of whether or not I made the right decision, your decision
> to check in the patch undermined the process.  Rather than convincing me
> I was in error, or developing a wider consensus that I was in fact in
> error, you chose to act preemptively.

I believe this wider consensus exists, really.  And, he is a build
machinery maintainer, so he can just do this, can't he?  Or d
subsystem maintainers need approval from the release manager in stage
1 from now on? (Which might actually be a good idea if we are really
going to plan ahead stage 1 merges from now on.)

> Meanwhile, Dan Jacobowitz and
> David Edelsohn were spending time trying to develop that wider
> consensus, and I was devoting time to responding and investigating.
> That time was wasted, since you were not willing to wait for the result.

His patch was commited even before "the Dans" spent time on this.  And
that time is not wasted I think, it got this discussion started about
how to do this planning better in the next development cycle.

> I'd appreciate your
> assurance that you will not take this kind of preemptive action again.

You could of course have proposed the merge plan earlier, and have it
discussed on the mailing list or with the people who proposed a project,
instead of planning on your own, declaring stage 1, and acting surprised
if your schedule turns out to be inconvenient for some people.

Gr.
Steven