Re: GCC 4.1 Projects

Nathanael Nerode wrote:

It's in now, BTW. Nothing broke. :-)

We need to talk about that.

Independently of whether or not I made the right decision, your decision to check in the patch undermined the process. Rather than convincing me I was in error, or developing a wider consensus that I was in fact in error, you chose to act preemptively. Meanwhile, Dan Jacobowitz and David Edelsohn were spending time trying to develop that wider consensus, and I was devoting time to responding and investigating. That time was wasted, since you were not willing to wait for the result.

I'm glad that nothing broke, and it would serve no purpose to revert the patch, especially given that there's a lot of evidence I made the wrong call in the first place. I admire your work, and I'm grateful for and impressed by the cleanups you've made over the years. However, I think that this was an inappropriate action on your part. I'd appreciate your assurance that you will not take this kind of preemptive action again.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC