Re: GCC 4.1 Projects

Zdenek Dvorak wrote:
Hello,
 But I don't think having just a single person
decide which patches may go in and which must wait, or even just judging
their importance, is a good idea.

People weren't happy with the ad-hoc nature of the process before, and I got a lot of mail about the mainline being broken too often because one patch that went in prevented another from going in, and because people didn't know which projects were going in when, and because projects appeared "out of nowhere" taking people by surprise. I think we've helped reduce those problems by asking people to commit up front to what they're doing.

But, I've long since given up hoping to please everybody every time.

By all means feel free to post your suggestions for a better process.

(This time around, the there seemed to be consensus that all proposals be made public upon submission. Since that seems to be the consensus, I'll implement that in the next release cycle.)

I think the constraints on the process ought to include (a) relatively little effort invested by relatively few people in the decision making process, and (b) clear termination conditions.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC