Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2005-02-03)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > As for making all proposals public, some people have asked that they be
> > kept confidential because they didn't want to put out ideas publicly
> > that were going to have no chance of being included.

I wish that people didn't feel that way; off-the-wall ideas sometimes lead
to better ideas even if the original proposal is completely unsuitable,
and things that aren't realistic to include in a short time frame can
work out OK long-term.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:56:59PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Personally, that sounds somewhat strange for contributions to an open
> source project, and I would strongly prefer all proposals to be public
> to counter any FUD anyone might spread on our processes.

It depends.  If someone wants a confidential "sanity check" on a proposal
before making it public, I don't much care (though Mark might find himself
overburdened if he's in charge of all sanity checking, because people mail
only him).  But any private communication between a proposer and Mark
should only be a first step; real development discussions should take
place on this list.